HISTORY OF TIPTON MUNICIPAL UTILITIESPublic utilities first came to Tipton in 1894 as the Tipton Electric Light and Water Works. The waterworks station was constructed in 1894-95 at cost of $35,000 just east of the City. A small electric light plant was added in 1898. In 1901, we became known as the Tipton Municipal Utilities and was wholly owned by the City of Tipton. The original Wastewater Treatment Plant began operations in 1937 with the capacity to treat 600,000 gallons of wastewater per day. Over the years, many people have contributed to the success of Tipton Municipal Utilities. Their dedication and foresight have allowed us to enjoy the benefits of a small local utility in our community today.